Minutes - January 2008
MEETING OF THE BLACKMORE, HOOK END & WYATTS GREEN PARISH COUNCIL
Held on Thursday, 17 January 2008 – 7.30pm in the Committee Room of Tipps Cross Remembrance Hall.
Members present: Mrs Barnes (Parish Clerk), Mr Bennett, Mr Brown, Mr Dean, Mr Giordan, Mr Hall (Vice Chairman), Mrs Henwood (Chairman), Mr Keeble, Ann Naylor, County Councillor, Mrs Thomas, Mrs Town.
Mr Smith (Editor) - Herald Magazine, was also present.
Apologies for absence were received from Mr Lennon, Mr Marr, Mrs Nelson (Treasurer), Mrs Smith, Mrs Stran.
The minutes of the previous meeting, having been circulated, were signed as a correct record.
PCSO, Susan Payne was present to discuss policing issues in the neighbourhood. She spoke about the recent complaints received about quad bikes and mini motors and the like in the area, including the incident of a girl who was thrown from her horse as a result of this. The owner of 5 such vehicles was subsequently issued with a section 59 for each of the 5 vehicles.
Susan Payne also mentioned there has been a recent spate of burglaries in the area and warned everyone to be more vigilant and ensure all window and door locks are used wherever fitted.
She also reported there has been some reported airgun crimes. A Parishioner had a car windscreen and bathroom window shot at with airgun pellets. This is being monitored and any incidents should be reported to Susan Payne.
The Clerk read out a thank you card from Mrs Nelson for the lovely flowers sent to her on behalf of the Parish Council for her 60th birthday.
The Clerk read out the mobile library timetables, which she will post on the notice boards as well as supplying to Mr Smith for the Herald Magazine.
The Clerk read out the bus passenger news information highlighting changes for 2008, however this does not affect the Parish.
The Clerk informed the Council receipt of a fault reporting card with relevant phone and contact numbers for the highways department. This will be held on file for future use.
Literature from the EALC concerning ‘Breathing places’ and grants information was passed to Mrs Town for the Environment Committee to read. The Clerk also passed to her the EALC response to the post office closures programme.
The Essex Festival 2008 listing was passed to Mr Keeble to supply information on events happening this year.
The Clerk passed to Mrs Town the renewal information for the Essex Wildlife Trust, which she will review if of any interest.
The Clerk advised receipt of the notice of alteration to the electoral register which will be held in the office.
The Clerk read out a letter from Mr Lucas regarding the music festival of 2007 and the forthcoming event for 2008. He confirmed that should there be any surplus funds after the festival, consideration would be made for a donation to the Parish, although he reported that with the cost increases due this year this is looking unlikely and a break-even expectation would be favourable.
The Clerk read out an appeal from Kidney Research UK to advertise their charity event, ‘The London Bridges Walk – Sunday 6th July 2008’. It was agreed that this would be advertised in the Herald Magazine and was passed to Mr Smith.
The Clerk read out a letter from the Leather Bottle pub, Blackmore dated 22.12.07, regarding lack of parking facilities. They said that a cycling club meet on the Green regularly at weekends and use up the entire car parking facilities available on the Green. They have asked if permission could be given for them to park outside the sports and social club alleviating this problem for their customers. It was agreed that the Clerk would pass this letter onto Gill Barclay who could deal with this with the Committee for a decision but whilst it is common land, the Leather Bottle do not have any priority over parking in this area.
BOROUGH & COUNTY COUNCILLOR REPORTS
Mrs Henwood advised she had attended two meetings at Borough Council this year so far. The first being a licensing meeting, the second being the planning committee meeting. She said that planning permission had been granted for the school. A 106 agreement would be given between Brentwood Borough Council (BBC) and Essex County Council (ECC), permitting that when the land is sold for development, the agreed sum of £80,000 will be given to BBC which would then be passed onto the Parish Council for its youth centre project. This would also accrue interest which would also be passed onto the Parish Council. It is however estimated that we still require at least a further £120,000 to complete the project and once the funds were in place we could go ahead with the work. It was suggested that if after 10 years the money had not been utilised, it would be used for a youth project for the 5 parishes.
POLICY & RESOURCES COMMITTEE
The following cheques were approved for payment:
CHEQUES DRAWN AT January 2008 PC MEETING
£1138.00 Kelhatch Press – December edition of Herald Mag. £ 29.17 E-On (electricity for Millennium Park) £ 72.25 R D Potter (maintenance) £ 49.74 Alan’s DIY – goods supplied to R D Potter £ 255.95 Borough Treasurer, BBC – play area inspections on 12 Oct, 16 Nov, 17 Dec 2007. £ 17.62 Environment Agency – Silt analysis (pond) £ 134.00 Heatherland Ltd – skip hire
LIST OF CHEQUES TO BE DRAWN WEEK COMMENCING 21.1.08 – pending arrival of new cheque book.
£- Clerk’s monthly Salary £- Contribution paid to Clerk for office heating/electricity etc £- internet contribution paid to clerk £236.24 HM Revenue & Customs – Clerk’s contributions £- R Nelson – book-keeping £ 37.50 M Henwood – flowers for Joan Hobbs funeral £ 58.80 Tipps X R Hall – crossover cheque to pay BT phone bill so as not to delay payment (pending receipt of Parish cheque book) £ 75.00 petty cash
Nothing to report
Clerk confirmed the monthly direct debits for Southern Electric and Canon.
2582. FINANCIAL POWERS
The Policy and Resources Committee met on 7th January 2008 to formulate the Council’s budget proposals for the next financial year. Each sub-committee Chairman, in the knowledge that the Discretionary Grant was being reduced by Brentwood Borough Council, estimated the minimum expenditure of its section and together with administration costs this produced total expenditure for the year of £73,271. Our normal income, plus the reduced Discretionary Grant amounts to £50,560. This leaves a shortfall of £22,711 which has to be met from our Parish precept.
After discussion at the Parish Council meeting, it was agreed that a Parish precept of £16.00 based on a Band D property would be necessary to cover this shortfall. It was proposed by Mr Bennett, seconded by Mr Hall and unanimously agreed that the Parish precept for the year end 31st March 2009 be set at £16.00 based on a band D property, producing the sum of £22,953, and a total income of £73.513, giving a small surplus.
The Parish Community mini bus fees were also discussed. It was agreed that from the 1st April 2008, the hire fees would increase and the Clerk will type the hire booklet to reflect these new charges and implement them.
It was also discussed that Mrs Henwood will speak with BBC to try and establish the portion of the fees they pay towards Parish maintenance and what the Parish itself is responsible for in its budgeting.
The budget for skip hire was approved for 2008. However, it was proposed by Mr Bennett, seconded by Mrs Henwood and agreed that this service will be monitored this year and would only be continued if proven to be beneficial and successful to the community.
The Clerk, as a formality, left the committee room in order the budget for salary and pension contribution could be discussed. The meeting re-commenced with the Clerk after such discussion and it was agreed that commencing 1st April 2008, the Clerk could become a member of the Government Pension Scheme.
2583. COMMUNITY POLICE MEETING
The next meeting is to take place on 30 January 2008.
2584. COMMUNITY BUS
The Clerk advised that a Parishioner, a driver of the Community Bus, had provided a copy of a form he has to complete prior to hiring the Brentwood Community Bus, and suggested we may wish to do the same. It was agreed this would be good practise to monitor any damage or problems at the point of each hire. The Clerk will devise a form to be given to every user for completion.
2585. BLACKMORE CENTRE FOR YOUNG PEOPLE
As covered under ‘County and Borough Councillor Reports’ (page 2-3).
2586. BLACKMORE SPORTS ARENA - (FORMERLY MUGA)
The next Committee meeting is scheduled for 23rd January 2008.
2587. BLACKMORE WEBSITE
There are no problems with the website and it is running OK and being monitored by Mr Giordan. The Clerk confirmed the previous month’s minutes were an accurate up to date copy for inclusion on the website.
2588. RURAL HOUSING
Nothing to report. Still being looked at by Moira Groborz.
2589. MOBILE LIBRARY
The Clerk advised receipt of the 2008 schedule for the Parish which will be displayed on the notice boards and a copy was passed to Mr Smith for inclusion in the Herald Magazine.
2590. YOUTHS - BLACKMORE VILLAGE
The Clerk confirmed she had written to the Brentwood Chief of Police regarding Police resources, and read out the letter in response to this dated 27th December 2007. Samantha Jarvis, the Neighbourhood Policing Team Inspector, advised of a marked success with warnings and seizures of mopeds, quad bikes and anti-social driving/riding generally, but acknowledged it is an ongoing problem in some areas. She said she would pass on our correspondence to the Local Sergeant and the Traffic Dept to assess the level of problems being experienced in the villages. The Police encourage anyone to supply as much information to the Police as possible so if anyone witnesses or is suffering on an ongoing basis, they need to keep diary dates with vehicle descriptions or registration numbers if possible.
2591.BRENTWOOD BOROUGH PARISH COUNCIL ASSOCIATION
Nothing to report.
BLACKMORE MILLENNIUM PARK
2592. PROGRESS REPORT
The next meeting is scheduled for 23rd January 2008.
The Clerk had contacted the Planning Department, BBC for updates. Items had been covered at the planning committee meeting on 14th January 2008 under the appropriate headings. Mr Bennett reported he had received a phone call regarding the bungalow ‘Little Tara’, Hook End Road. A lot of building materials and apparent work was underway to the property and the planning committee agreed to check if any plans had been approved.
2594.OUTSTANDING ENFORCEMENT ISSUES
The Clerk had received the following responses to the outstanding items from Peter Geraghty, Chief Planning Officer, BBC.
Poppy House, Chelmsford Road, Blackmore, CM4 0SD – The matter regarding the fence/gate was reported on section 8 of Weekly list 1292 back in July 2007 (i.e. there is no breach identified or any breach of planning control has ceased or been remedied) and there is no further action to be taken by the planning department. There are no outstanding planning issues relating to this matter.
Bluebell Farm - Spriggs Lane – The application for a lawful development certificate has now been refused and consideration is now being given to the most appropriate course of action in respect of the enforcement notice which exists on the property.
Oak Tree Farm, Chelmsford Road, Blackmore, CM4 0PZ – This case is still pending further legal action – witness statements are being drafted in respect of legal action for all three plots (all are at different stages and have different circumstances) this is rather involved and is taking some time to complete. It is however, in hand.
A Meeting of the Environment Committee had taken place on 7th January 2008. Attended by Mrs Town (Chairman), Mrs Smith, Mrs Thomas, Mr Dean and Mr Lennon. Apologies - Mr Brown.
2595. DRAINS CLEARANCE & ROAD SWEEPING
Clerk has spoken to BBC regarding blocked drain outside Tipps Cross Remembrance Hall. Monitor.
2596. VILLAGE SPEED
With reference to the HGV’s using the bridge at Blackmore and whether this was suitable or not, this was also covered in the letter received from Samantha Jarvis, Brentwood Police. It was suggested we take this up with the Council for assessment. She did however mention that she had asked the Local Sergeant to make contact with Bushcade and discuss the concerns raised and look at alternative routes, as appropriate.
Mr Keeble said in his view, traffic calming measures were needed at the roundabout and Nine Ashes Road. The Clerk to write to Highways looking into this.
The Council is still looking for a suitable field. The Clerk had sourced the contact details for the family owning the Ted Marriage set-aside field and had written asking if they could possibly consider this for an allotment.
2598. MOPED RIDERS
As covered in the letter received from Samantha Jarvis, Brentwood Police.
2599. PARKING - BLACKMORE VILLAGE
The Clerk had spoken to Chris Brimley, BBC to accept proposal as outlined for the double yellow lines. Pending action.
2600. “CATS EYES”
Still not done - Clerk continues to chase for response but is told still no budget.
Work completed by Ray Potter to broken seat at the Green, Blackmore along with damaged posts on Horsefayre Green. The Committee reported the seat has been taken from Mill Lane, also the 30MPH sign is broken opposite the Mill Lane Play area which the Clerk is to report to BBC.
Meeting to discuss next move regarding silt, lifebelt and housing. Clerk requested to contact Kelvedon Hatch Parish Council regarding their lifebelt and housing, costs etc.
2603. YELLOW LINES (CHURCH STREET)
Regarding sign: Mrs Town will contact Roger Hulse, BBC again for an update.
2604. GUNNELL’S CORNER - BANK
This work was carried out and completed on 7 December 2007. Monitor.
2605. POST - SOAP HOUSE CORNER
Ray Potter attending.
2606. VILLAGE GREEN - (DIP)
J Sharpe attending.
Ray Potter repairing notice board at Wyatts Green (damaged front). Clerk tidying up information displayed. Clerk to obtain prices on new notice boards
2608. SERVICE LANE – DOG FOULING
Ray Potter installing notice board at Service Lane. Clerk contacting BBC regarding St Lawrence Garden sign.
2609. MILL LANE HEDGE
The Clerk has contacted BBC regarding completing the hedge trimming and removal of debris in this area. Roger Hulse will look into it with his Parks Department.
2610. DOG BIN - FANTAILS
Ray Potter attending.
2611. HOLE – CHURCH STREET
The Clerk has contacted BBC regarding repair of the hole reported by Mr Lee. This apparently was mapped out previously but never completed. Roger Hulse, BBC looking into it again.
2612. ALLEYWAY – ORCHARD PIECE/FINGRITH HALL ROAD
Weeds very high along both sides of alleyway between Fingrith Hall Road and Orchard Piece. The Clerk had spoken to Roger Hulse, BBC who reported the work had been done and now tidy except for some ivy which is the responsibility of the owner not the Council.
2613. SEAT - BLACKMORE VILLAGE BUS STOP
Ray Potter constructing new seat.
2614. LOOSE KERBSTONE - ORCHARD PIECE
Clerk chased Roger Hulse, BBC who reported to his knowledge this work was completed in November 2007.
2615. LIFEBELTS – (POND)
The Clerk supplied information and costs of lifebelts and housing to Mrs Town.
2616. TIPPS CROSS – CROSS ROADS (HEDGE)
Clerk had written to BBC and will chase as hedge needs trimming on corner of Tipps Cross Lane and Blackmore Road junction, visibility very bad for motorists. Clerk had spoken to Roger Hulse, BBC who will check.
2617. ROAD SIGNS –HOOK END LANE/BLACKMORE ROAD
Clerk to write to BBC to reinstate or repair finger post indicator at junction of Hook End Lane and Blackmore Road as broken. Also bent sign on junction of Wenlocks Lane and Blackmore Road. Also bent sign on Poplar Close. Clerk had spoken to Roger Hulse, BBC who said that signs would be straightened or cleaned but if any replacements, this would not take effect until April 2008 with the commencement of the new budget.
2618. MEADOW RISE – (GRASS SEEDING)
Clerk will contact BBC (Mr Hulse) requesting seeding of patch of verge opposite to No. 56 Meadow Rise. To be monitored by Mr Pavitt. Mr Hulse said that this would be done in the spring, around April time as waterlogged at present and would not grow. Monitor until then.
2619. BUS SHELTERS
Committee agree the bus shelter should be moved to the Green. Clerk to speak to Mrs Town regarding information from Andy Robinson and permission from Essex County Council. Clerk also spoken to Roger Hulse who will look into this with the planning department etc.
Next meeting: 4th February 2008 – 7.30pm at Crossehouse, Blackmore.
2620. NEXT EDITION
The deadline for the magazine is this week for next edition. Mr Smith will advertise on behalf of Kidney Research UK, their charity fundraising event as mentioned.
A meeting of the Recreation Committee had taken place on 8th January 2008 at Tipps Cross Remembrance Hall. Attended by Mr. Hall, Chairman, Mr Bennett, Mr Dean, Mr Keeble, Mr Lennon.
Apologies: Mrs Stran
2621. TED MARRIAGE RECREATION FIELD
Spring Animal - Ray Potter to remove spray paint by vandals. Clerk had emailed Ray Potter, pending action.
2622. MILL LANE PLAY AREA
Moles – Yet another 4 or 5 new mole hills have appeared outside play area. Mr Dean and Mr Giordan will look into this.
Risk Report – Ray Potter was in attendance.
Spring Animal – Ray Potter to clean and re-paint ASAP. Clerk had emailed and will email again in form of copy of minutes.
Junior Swing – Nuts loose. Also brackets on framework, to be blanked off. Clerk had emailed Ray Potter to instruct him to also clean and re-paint them. Clerk will send email as above.
Junior swing – Left hand swing twisted up and thrown over top bar. Clerk to ask Ray Potter to deal with ASAP.
2623. WALTER HOBBS RECREATION FIELD
Football Pitches - Plans for longer term - Pitches to be sanded and catch board fence to be erected when grant confirmed by Football Foundation. A grant for £804 plant fund had been applied for which will cover cost of trees, whip hedging and planting. All other work completed.
Waste Bins- 2 new bins with Ray Potter, awaiting installation. 1) To replace bin on right hand side of field, and 2) outside play area by dog bin. Clerk emailed reminder and will email recent committee minutes.
Bench – To be removed by Ray Potter. Sited at bottom corner of field at Service Lane side. Clerk had emailed reminder and will email minutes.
Arson Incident – The Police are still investigating the arson at the aerial runway and nearby bin. Have still not taken statements from Mr Keeble or A March.
Risk Report - Ray Potter was in attendance.
Play Area - Chain link fencing and kick board to be replaced where necessary. Clerk emailed Ray Potter and will email minutes.
Spring Animal – Work has been done but still awaiting painting. Clerk will email reminder in form of recreation minutes.
Replacement slide – Clerk arranged meeting for 28/01/08 – 3pm with Mr Hall and Chris from Wicksteed to inspect if play area suitable for the slide we are considering. Installation to be carried out in early March (before Easter). Expenditure approved at meeting.
Next meeting : 12 February 2008 - 7.00pm at Tipps Cross Remembrance Hall
2624. MEETING DATES
Planning 04.02.08 3.30pm Crossehouse, Blackmore Recreation 12.02.08 7.00pm Tipps Cross R. Hall Environment 04.02.08 7.30pm Crossehouse, Blackmore Tipps Cross Mgmnt 11.03.08 8.00pm Tipps Cross R Hall Parish Council 21.02.08 7.30pm Blackmore V Hall Millennium Pk Mtg 23.01.08 8.00pm Blackmore Village Hall Community Police Mtg 30.01.08 8.00pm Tipps Cross R Hall
ANY OTHER BUSINESS
2625. WASTE BIN – BY BLACKMORE VILLAGE SCHOOL
Mrs Henwood reported that after a meeting, the bin in question has now been moved and Mr Graham thanked us for resolving the issue.
2626. THE PRIORY WALL
Mr Giordan expressed concern regarding the Priory Wall, in particular in adjacent to the Church and Church Street. He suggested assembling a narrative of what has been happening and asking BBC to enforce action as it is quite dangerous. Mr Giordan will compile.
2627. WHEELCHAIR RETURN
Mrs Town asked if the Clerk could contact the current users of the Parish wheelchairs to see if some can be returned as currently all out on hire.
2628. WHITE LINE – HOOK END LANE
Mr Smith reported that the white line in the centre of the road at Hook End Lane has disappeared which could be dangerous. The Clerk was requested to contact Highways, BBC to re-instate.
2629. BUS STOP SEAT REMOVED – MILL LANE
The Clerk had received a call on 18 December 2007 to advise that the bus stop seat at Beehive Chase, Mill Lane had been removed. Pending action from the Environment Committee meeting.
2630. CHAIRMANS DAY
Mrs Henwood sought approval to attend the Chairman’s Day on 28/02/08 at a cost of £50.00. It was proposed by Mr Hall, seconded by Mr Bennett and agreed that the Clerk would book this for Mrs Henwood to attend.
There being no further business, the Meeting closed at 9.45 pm.