Minutes - July 2008
MEETING OF THE BLACKMORE, HOOK END & WYATTS GREEN PARISH COUNCIL
Held on Thursday, 17th July, 2008 in the Committee Room of the Tipps Cross Remembrance Hall. Commenced at 7.30pm.
Members present: Mrs. Henwood (Chairman), Mr Alvarez (newly co-opted cllr), Mrs Barnes (Parish Clerk), Mr. Bennett, Mr Dean, Mr. Keeble, Mr. Lennon, Mr Marr, Mrs Nelson (Treasurer), Mrs Smith, Mrs. Town,
Terry Smith - Editor - Herald Magazine was also present along with Ann Naylor, Essex County Councillor.
Apologies for absence were received from: Mrs Thomas, Mr Brown, and Mr Giordan.
The Minutes of the previous Meeting, having been circulated, were signed as a correct record with the following amendments:
Page 1 – remove wording ‘ANNUAL GENERAL MEETING’, typed in error.
Page 5 – Item 0071 – Change wording to read ‘this year’s proposed ticket price should be increased from £3 to £5,……’
Page 10 – Item 0108 – Should read ‘ Cllr H Town does not wish for any such sites. She therefore voted against the other recommendations’.
DECLARATION OF INTEREST
There were no declarations of interest to report to items on the agenda.
There were no members of the public present so the meeting proceeded.
0111. The Clerk advised the Council of the email received from EALC who require details of our magazine publication for their database. Terry Smith to email the Clerk the relevant information to forward to the EALC.
0112. The Clerk informed the Council receipt of the notification of alteration to the register of electors. These will be filed at the office.
0113. The Clerk advised details of the email received regarding erosion of green belt land. The contents were noted.
0114. The Clerk advised receipt of the ‘Essex Tree Initiative’, 250,000 free trees available on application. This document was passed to Mrs Town for consideration.
0115. The Clerk read out an email from BBC regarding the increase in fuel prices etc. Some grants are available if the criteria are met for housing insulation etc. Copy passed to Terry Smith for inclusion in the Herald Magazine. Clerk will organise copies to be placed on the notice boards, to the Women’s Institute along with the Jericho Club and Tipps Cross Over 55’s club.
0116. The Clerk advised renewal of the ‘Essex Playing Fields’ membership at £25 is due. Membership subscription was agreed so the Clerk will organise.
BROUGH & COUNTY COUNCILLOR REPORTS
Mrs Henwood advised that there had been a Borough planning meeting on 16.7.08. Mrs Henwood advised that the developer of the ‘Latham’s Yard’ site wanted to extend the existing footprint as cannot go higher, however plans were approved for the original plan application so he would have to put in a new application if he wants to do so.
Ann Naylor advised that if the Parish Council has trouble trying to contact the Highway Rangers or experiences problems, we can contact her and she will try and assist. They are able to tackle the smaller more immediate jobs.
Ann Naylor also mentioned concern that the Old School/library, Blackmore is still not sold. She advised of a letter from David Hall, E.C.C. stating that sale of this type of property is slow and not in much demand at the moment. However, if the Parish Council needs the £80,000 funds agreed to commence the Youth Centre Project, the Parish Council could consider asking for this in advance of the sale if it is needed for the project. Ann Naylor will email a copy of this letter to Mrs Henwood.
POLICY & RESOURCES COMMITTEE
A Meeting of the Policy & Resources Committee is scheduled to take place on 21st August at 7.30pm at Tipps Cross Remembrance Hall.
The following cheques were approved for payment:
CHEQUES DRAWN AT JUNE 2008 P C MEETING
£ Addressee Description 238.38 Essex County Council Clerks pension contr. - S Barnes Clerks salary - S Barnes Contributions to Clerks office - S Barnes Contribution to Clerks internet 196.06 HM Revenue & Customs Clerks Tax/NI contr. - R Nelson Book keeping 75.00 petty cash 650.00 Blackmore school swimming pool fund 100.23 A to Z supplies Tipps X provisions (cleaning etc) - (to be reimbursed) 48.94 Alan’s DIY goods supplied to R Potter 32.86 Three Valleys Water b/more playing field 158.63 R G & L A Martin to report on soil (pond) 139.09 E-On electricity/B/more millennium pk 28.00 C P R E membership 2008 144.00 Heatherland Ltd skip hire 751.00 R D Potter maintenance & repair wk 41.82 R D Potter expenses incurred 22.74 Old Forge G’dn Machinery goods supplied 89.89 BBC play inspection, 12/6/08 57.06 BT Payment Services phone bill 770.88 M D Landscapes Ltd grass cutting services 211.39 J Oddy & Sons oak and goods supplied 55.00 R.C.C.E membership renewal
Nothing to report
Public Works Loan Board – Loan repayment of £1598.15 – out 30 June 2008.
0118. FINANCIAL POWERS
Mrs Nelson read to the meeting details of the Parish Accounts in accordance with the financial reports distributed by the Clerk prior to the meeting. Mrs Nelson advised that the grass cutting services were quite high so the Clerk was asked to give a copy of MD Landscapes grass cutting contracts to Mr Lennon and Mrs Town of the Recreation and Environment Committees respectively. The Clerk would also check responsibility and strimming/grass trimming service contracts with Ray Potter and provide copies of such to the above Committees. The Clerk was also asked to provide a copy to Mrs Nelson, Treasurer.
Mr Bennett read out details of the Income and Expenditure Accounts and Balance Sheets for the year ended 31.3.08. These were all agreed by the Council and signed off as a correct record.
Mr Bennett went on to advise the Council he had attended a meeting on Monday 7th July 2008 at 2pm at the Town Hall, with Simon Theobold, Head of Financial Services regarding the Parish’s discretionary grants. He advised that by BBC reducing the grant by 10% for five years, the funds left would have been so small, it would not be worthwhile remaining as a Parish Council, particularly where smaller Parish Councils are concerned.
He advised that around 7th July 2008, letters will be coming out from BBC asking about the work we do in the Parish and the charges we are responsible for, i.e.: for such services as planting, grass cutting etc, so this can be evaluated further.
0119. COMMUNITY POLICE MEETING
Nothing to report – no meeting.
Mr Keeble did however report that recently, children had arrived in two groups over two weekends (Saturday’s), they climbed the fencing and played football. The Police were called and said as it was private property; it’s a civil matter and would therefore not take any action. Susan Payne is looking into this and has taken the number plates and will be contacting them.
0120. COMMUNITY BUS
Nothing new to report. Still awaiting quote from Allen Ford regarding repairs to the bodywork.
0121. BLACKMORE CENTRE FOR YOUNG PEOPLE
Mr Keeble reported that the BBQ was very successful on Friday 4th July 2008 – 6.00 – 7.30pm, albeit too brief. Perhaps a longer time slot will be considered in future.
0122. BLACKMORE SPORTS ARENA – (formerly MUGA)
Mr Keeble advised that bookings are going well and Susan Payne is looking at organising more football games with the youths in the future, providing they do not climb the fences and play unauthorised games amongst themselves.
0123. BLACKMORE VILLAGE WEBSITE
In the absence of Mr Giordan there was nothing new to report.
0124. RURAL HOUSING
Madeline Henwood advised that she had met with Moira Groborz on 15th July and visited the other site at Wrights Lane (as well as the Latham’s Yard site). They also looked at the field by Red Rose Lane and Orchard Piece but are unsure who owns this. They also looked at Mrs Garner’s field. Pending further contact.
0125. MOBILE LIBRARY
Nothing new to report.
0126. BRENTWOOD BOROUGH PARISH COUNCIL ASSOCIATION
The next meeting is scheduled for 29th July 2008 at 7pm, Town Hall.
0127. ROADWAY RENTS (2008)
The Clerk advised that so far only Mr Brown of Jericho Priory had paid the £25.00 as invoiced against invoice no. 2008/SB/BR dated 1 April 2008.
BLACKMORE MILLENNIUM PARK
0127. PROGRESS REPORT
The next meeting is scheduled for 27/8/08 at 8.00pm, Blackmore Village Hall.
Mr Keeble reported that the Music Festival (during weekend of 12th July) was fairly successful and was a very good event, with no damage to the fields or grounds etc.
Apart from the previously circulated minutes there was nothing further to report.
A meeting of the Planning Committee had taken place on 23rd June, attended by Mr Marr (Chairman), Mrs Town, Mrs Smith and Mr Giordan.
There was a further Planning Committee meeting on 7th July, attended by Mr. Marr, Chairman, Mrs. Town, Mrs. Smith, Mr Giordan, with apologies from Mrs Smith, Mrs Thomas, Mr Dean and Mr Brown.
Plans received and considered at the Planning Meetings were discussed and minuted on the above dates. These were distributed by the Parish Clerk to the members of the Council prior to the Parish Council meeting.
Mr Marr also confirmed that the plans submitted for ‘Fourways’ did not go through.
0129. OUTSTANDING ENFORCEMENT ISSUES
Bluebell Farm - Spriggs Lane - Nothing new to report.
Oak Tree farm, Chelmsford Road, Blackmore, CM4 0PZ – Mr Marr writing to Peter Geraghty and Brian Keene, BBC requesting update.
Lilliput, Chelmsford Road, Blackmore – Mr Marr to write to BBC regarding the hard-standing which has ‘unofficially’ been erected adjacent to the property.
A Meeting of the Environment Committee had taken place on 7th July, 2008, attended by Mrs. Town (Chairman), Mrs. Smith, Mrs Thomas, Mr Lennon, Mr Dean and Mr Brown.
Apologies - Nil.
ITEMS 0130 – 0154 were dealt with and minuted at that committee meeting as distributed by the Clerk and received by the Council, with the following exceptions which were discussed at the Parish Council meeting :-
0131 – VILLAGE SPEED
Mrs Town again expressed her concern regarding speeding vehicles through Blackmore village and the continued heavy goods vehicles and potential damage they cause to the roads, particularly over the bridge at the pond.
0133 – PARKING – BLACKMORE (BLACKSMITHS ALLEY)
Mrs Town confirmed this is still in the appeal stages, pending outcome.
0134 – CATS EYES
Mr Lennon attended the localism meeting at BBC on 2nd July 2008. He went to discuss budgets for cat’s eyes and Vehicle activated signs (V.A.S). It was estimated that the cost per V.A.S is approximately £5,000, and we require around 5 or 6 of these. The Clerk was requested to contact Peter Rose, Highways, BBC (email@example.com) to enquire if we can apply for 6 V.A.S’s. Mr Lennon also advised that the Highway Rangers have the budget to complete immediate works so the Clerk is to contact them to enquire if they can complete any works from our outstanding list still to be completed.
0135 – PONDS
Terry Smith confirmed the pond project has hit a snag. It would appear that you should not move carp in hot weather. Mr Smith contacted the Environment Agency to ask for their assistance in moving them, however, they advised that they cannot move any carp. It affects their moving equipment for up to three months. They can however recommend other companies not operating to these regulations. Mr Smith is now looking into this option with the Environment Agency to see if they can assist with funding to use a private company to move them.
Mrs Town also advised she is has asked John Sharpe to quote to move some trees and lop some trees around the pond. The quote received was £740 – which all approved its go ahead within the pond project budget.
Mrs Town also spoke to Peter Rose, BBC to enquire if we have to seek their approval to go ahead with the pond restoration work. He will look into it and revert.
0136 – YELLOW LINES – CHURCH STREET
Mrs Town has asked Roger Hulse to re-visit this item and get back to us. This item had got confused. It should be about ownership of un-tarmaced area outside the Church. Mr Hulse was to put this on his budget for April.
0150 – DOG DIRT – ST LAURENCES
Flyers not appropriate – Delete from next agenda.
0151 – DOG WASTE BIN – BLACKMORE GREEN
0152 – DOG BIN BY POND
Both to be monitored
0153 – HEDGE – BLACKMORE SCHOOL
Been inspected - This item is to be deleted from next agenda
0154 – HEDGE – NINE ASHES ROAD
Mrs Town inspected. Clerk requested to contact BBC to request them to come and cut the top and face of the hedge as it is over 15ft tall – ideally needs to be around 10ft.
0155. BLACKMORE VILLAGE FAYRE
H Town advised that permission had been sought for a mobile platform to be put by pond next Whitsun. Committee do not think this is appropriate due to the soft earth and £19,000 just being spent on pond restoration. Also feel it would be safer to position stage to rear of Bull public house as electricity is already in position there. Mrs Town asked advice from John Sharpe about possibility of pruning trees to the rear of Bull public house and a quote had been received for £180 plus VAT. The Clerk is to pass this quote onto the Blackmore Village Fayre Committee.
0156. HEDGE TRIMMING – JUNCTION OF TIPPS CROSS LANE AND HOOK END LANE
Hedge is obstructing view of cars coming from Tipps Cross Lane onto Hook End Lane. Clerk to ask BBC to inspect with the view to trimming.
0157. PLANTS_- WAR MEMORIAL
Plants have died due to lack of watering. Mr Town to ask Parishioner if she would water it on behalf of the Parish Council. Monitor.
0158. NEXT EDITION
Terry Smith advised that the magazine is running very well and that the next edition deadline is now the weekend of 18/19th July 2008. He also advised that we can no longer enter the magazine of the year competition due to changes in rules and criteria.
A meeting of the Recreation Committee had taken place on 8th July 2008 at 7pm at Tipps Cross Remembrance Hall, attended by Mr Lennon (Chairman), Mr Bennett, Mr Dean and Mrs Thomas.
Apologies: Mr Keeble.
ITEMS 0159 – 0161 were dealt with and minuted at that committee meeting as distributed by the Clerk and received by the Council, with the following exceptions which were discussed at the Parish Council meeting :-
0159. TED MARRIAGE RECREATION FIELD
Broken cross member – play area – Clerk advised of email from Ray Potter confirming he had replaced the broken rail (A.06.08) on 1.7.08. However he noted there are several holes made to the chain link fencing. He stated he has reported several times in the past that the chain link fence is past its sell by date, being very brittle and rusty under the coating. He asked if this could be brought to the Parish Council’s attention as he believes it is now beyond ‘patching up’ and requires replacement. Although he holds stocks of this he would have to purchase more from J Oddy to complete the job. Clerk to inform Ray Potter to advise cost with the view to replacing it.
0160. MILL LANE PLAY AREA
External fence (A.03.08) – Clerk advised she had been in contact with the Insurers HSBC, regarding the damage caused by the RTA and their insured client who had failed to comply with their regulations. The Clerk read out the email from HSBC as follows: ‘Under our RTA obligations we are obliged to pay an innocent party only once an unsatisfied Judgement has been obtained. What this means that you will need to issue County Court proceedings against our insured. If our insured does not pay the claim as indicated by the Court within 14 days, Judgement can be applied for. Once judgement is obtained we will pay you under our RTA obligations. We are not prepared to pay your claim at this stage without our insured’s cooperation. Our insured has neither confirmed nor denied their involvement in the incident’.
With this in mind the Clerk has been requested to start proceedings through the small claims court accordingly.
0161. WALTER HOBBS RECREATION FIELD
Football Pitches - Plans for longer term - Mr Keeble passed around details on catch nets. Hallingsworth has quoted approximately £5,500 for sanding the football pitches, including the work carried out on decompaction last November. This cost will come out of the Essex Initiatives Fund of £8,000. The Parish Council approved this.
0162. COMMITTEE MEETINGS
Planning 29.7.08 6.00pm 60 Orchard Piece Recreation 12.08.08 7.00pm Tipps Cross R. Hall Environment 08.09.08 7.30pm Crossehouse Tipps X Mgmnt 09.09.08 8.00pm Tipps Cross R Hall Parish Council mtg 18.09.08 7.30pm Tipps X R Hall Millennium Park 27.08.08 8.00pm Blackmore V Hall Community Police TBC Policy & Resources 21.08.08 7.30pm Tipps Cross R Hall
0163. BLACKMORE, HOOK END & WYATTS GREEN – WARD
James Stevens, Elections Coordinator, BBC had previously written to the Clerk confirming approval of Mary Spiers and Paul Alvarez to fill the vacancies within the Hook End & Wyatts Green ward. They can be co-opted as Parish Councillors. Mr Alvarez attended and signed the register of acceptance of office at this Parish Council meeting and Mrs Spiers will be attending the September Parish Council meeting and will sign the register at that time. The Clerk will confirm these details with James Stevens as requested.
0164. GYPSY/TRAVELLERS SITES
It was agreed at the Parish council meeting and after discussion with Ann Naylor, County Councillor, the Parishioners and members of the Parish Council would write individually to BBC to give their views and preferences to the gypsy/traveller site consultation document.
0165. FOOTPATH NO. 19
Clerk to contact BBC advising this footpath is in need of cleaning up. Monitor.
ANY OTHER BUSINESS – (for discussion only)
0166. LIST OF COMMITTEES
Mr Alvarez is to join the Planning committee. The Clerk will update the list
0167. BUS NO. 261
Mr Dean reported that the above service had stopped running.
0168. ROAD SWEEPER
Mr Dean also reported that after the BBC road sweeper had been, it had made the roads even dirtier than they were before. Monitor.
0169. DRAINS (IN GENERAL)
It was noted that a lot of the drains in the Parish have weeds growing out from them. Could Clerk continue to keep chasing BBC for this item and monitor.
There being no further business, the Meeting closed at 10:10pm.