RAMSBOTTOM TIMELINE

1616 Hey House built at Holcombe Built by Robert Browne and located on Moor Bottom Road
1712 Dundee Presbyterian Chapel opens
1760s Fulling mill built at Dearden Clough, Edenfield Known as Dearden Clough Mill
1770 In Edenfield both White Horse and Pack Horse were functioning White Horse later became the Horse and Jockey. Pack Horse became Topham's Arms in 1986 and in 1991 became an Italian Restaurant.
1783 Grant family have first sight of Ramsbottom
1783 Peel and Yates build a factory It was water-powered and situated on the Old Ground
1787 - 1790 Chatterton Mill built First used for fulling wool
1789 Peel Bridge built Built by Peel and Yates to connect their mill at Old Ground with Bury - Haslingden turnpike via Peel Brow
1789 Peel Brow laid out Linked the town with the turnpike. I don't know when the first houses were built on this steep road but certainly some were much later. An OS map surveyed in the 1890s shows houses at the bottom end but not the top. (Modern street maps also show houses missing near the upper end as they were pulled down to make way for a new motorway)
1790s (late) Bolton Road West constructed
1792 Dearden Clough Lower Mill built
1792 Coach and Horses (Edenfield) built Now the "Three Sisters"
19/06/1797 Act passed for Edenfield - Little Bolton turnpike
1801 Edenwood Mill built by Lawrence Rostron
circa 1801 Rose Bank Printworks built
Plunge Mill built
1812 Lumb Carr Road constructed from Holcombe Brook to Holcombe
1817 Nuttall Hall built for John Grant
1821 Chatterton Mill taken over by Thomas Aitken Under him became a cotton mill powered by a waterwheel 14 ft wide and just over that in diameter. By 1826 was weaving as well as spinning used 46 newly installed power looms.
1825 Market Place Methodist first built
26/04/1826 Chatterton Riots A mob of about 3-4000 went to Edenfield to destroy power looms. 58 looms were destroyed at Bridge Mill and John Rostron was clubbed. At Chatterton they were read the Riot Act by William Grant (a JP). The rioters broke into the mill and looms were destroyed but at least five were killed when the soldiers opened fire. On the same day 38 looms were destroyed at Robin Road Mill in Summerseat.
1828 Grant's Tower erected at Top o' th' Hoof
1830 Sale of Beer Act Allowed any householder assessed for Poor Rate to apply for a licence to sell beer in his house for consumption on or off the premises. There were quite a number of these beer houses in Ramsbottom and Edenfield. John Simpson in his book on Edenfield says there were 9 in the village by 1841.
1830s Rostron Arms opens Moved to a more imposing building in the Market Place in 1840
1832 Irwell Vale Mill built Became a soap mill in late 1950s
1832-4 Building of St Andrew's church Built by William Grant as a Presbyterian foundation
1835 Bury New Road built This route to the Haslingden - Bury turnpike had a less steep gradient than Peel Brow.
1836 Patmos Methodist founded
1838 First installment of Nicholas Nickleby appears. Charles Dickens claimed, in preface to a later edition, that the Cheeryble Brothers were based on real people. Assumed to be the Grant brothers.
1842 Rioting In a trade depression gangs of workers roam the streets and bring to a halt at some mills (eg Ewood Bridge Mill)
1842 Rev Matthew Wilson appointed curate at Edenfield Unlike his predecessors he lived in the village until his death in 1870. He bacame its first vicar in 1865.
1845 Ramsbottom Cricket Club formed by Stead Bros
1846 Ramsbottom station opens Ceased to be manned in 1968 and passenger services ended in 1972
1847 Rowlands Wesleyan Chapel built
1847 Walmersley House built In 1886 became the Robinson Kay Home for Incurable Gentlewomen
1848 St John, Shuttleworth, consecrated
1850 Stubbins Vale Mill built
1850 St Paul's consecrated
1852 Edenfield's first Post Office opens
1852 Peel Tower erected
1854 Ramsbottom Gas Works established at Stubbins
1856 Foundation of what later became known as Greenmount United Reformed Church. Ralph Rooney (b.1862) became a Sunday School teacher here in 1882 and served until 1930.
1859 Edenfield Industrial and Provident Society formed This was the "Co-op" or Co-operative movement. Shortly after foundation it moved into newly built premises.
1860 Hope Mill built at Edenfield George Alty took it over in 1880 and it was used for weaving towels. He ran till his death in 1917. The mill closed in 1967.
1861 Edenfield Brewery opened by Thomas Mercer In his book about Edenfield John Simpson puts on record the opinion of a local man (in 1908 when the concern was out of Mercer's hands): "The ale brewed by this firm is not well liked, it being of a very purgative nature, as to be known to the old 'topers' of the district as 'Shitten Breeches' "
1862-3 Cotton famine Blockade of American ports, and hence a shortage of raw material, led to the closure of many mills and much unemployment. A very hard time for many in Ramsbottom, Tottington, and Edenfield.
1864 Ramsbottom Local Board of Health formed
1865 Edenfield becomes a parish (ecclesiastical)
1867 Founding of Bank Lane Baptist, Shuttleworth
1868 Opening of Stubbins Congregational Day School The old building closed in 1970
1869 St Andrew's transferred to Anglican Church Because of the religious leanings of William Grant, nephew of the William Grant who founded the church. The Presbyterian congregation had to move out. At first they used the building in Dundee Lane.
1872-3 Building of St Andrew's Presbyterian Church This was to house the congregation ejected from the other St Andrew's so for a time there were 2 churches with the same name. This one had a spire and stood at the corner of Kay Brow and Bolton Street.
1876 New Jerusalem Church opens The first Swedenborgian chapel was built in 1831
1882 Opening of Holcombe Brook branch line (railway) Work began in 1878
1883 Area of Ramsbottom Local Board of Health increased by the addition of parts of Tottington Higher End and Elton. Also part of Walmersley-with-Shuttleworth.
1886 Britannia Ropeworks set up at Edenfield
1894 First electric lights in Edenfield at Bridge Mill
1894 Ramsbottom Urban District (RUD) formed
Tottington Lower End dissolved
RUD covered area of old Ramsbottom Local Board of Health
Parts of Tottington Lower End not previously transferred to Ramsbottom or Bury became Tottington Urban District, together with part of Elton township. Some information on Administrative Areas of Ramsbottom
1899 Tottington Mill taken over by Calico Printers Association. The mill was taken on by Joshua Knowles in 1821 and members of the family continued to be associated with the mill as managers after this take-over. Two years later it was employing some 450 workers. It was mostly closed in 1928. This and some other items have been taken from Ken Craven's booklet on the History of Greenmount United Reformed Church.
13/11/1899 Opening of Cottage hospital in Nuttall Lane Known as the Aitken Memorial and Jubilee Hospital it was funded by Mrs May Aitken and replaced an earlier one set up in a converted house in Dundee Lane in 1896. The 'Jubilee' refers to the Jubilee of Queen Victoria.
1900 Rose Bank Mill bought by Turnbull & Stockdale
Tolls over Peel Bridge ended
by 1931 had trebled in size
1901 Peel Brow Board School opens
1902 First car appears in Edenfield
Pilgrims' Cross memorial placed on moors behind Holcombe

A large block with an inscription and another block to act as a base were transported by horse and cart. They were placed at the site of an earlier cross. The cross was on the route take by pilgrims on their way to Whalley Abbey.
1903 Hazelhurst Council School erected
1904 Greenmount Street becomes Brandlesholme Road.
1908-9 Chatterton Weaving Shed built
1910 Empire Picture Palace built
Electric power made available to Ramsbottom consumers
Closed 1962; burned down 1978
Provided by Lancashire Electric Power Co. In 1913 there were 85 consumers (3830 by 1939)
1913 Edenfield Brewery Closes
Trolley buses make their appearance

Route from Edenfield through Nimble Nook, Stubbins, Chatterton Lane, Ramsbottom, Holcombe Brook
1921 Ocean Chemical Works starts operations At one time the only cyanide making plant in Britain. Later made alkali for bleaching.
1923 Ramsbottom Urban District Council's first bus service Rawtenstall station to Bury tram terminus at Walmersley
1926 Half-hourly bus service
Edenfield - Ramsbottom - Bury
St Andrew's Presbyterian Demolished
1927 St Philip's, Stubbins consecrated
1928 Nuttall Bridge collapses
Nuttall Hall donated with 15 acres by AT Porritt to people of Ramsbottom to become Nuttall Park
Only replaced by a footbridge
1933 Part of Bury Borough added to RUD
Part of Tottington Urban District added to Bury Borough
1937 Holcombe Hunt kennels move from Holcombe to Kirklees
1940 Greenmount area took about 250 pupils as evacuees from Notre Dame High School in Guernsey Most were boarded and taught at Hollymount. They were returned home in 1945. This and some other items have been taken from Ken Craven's booklet on the History of Greenmount United Reformed Church.
22/09/1944 Collapse of Grant's Tower
1952 Last passenger train on Holcombe Brook branch line
1956 Diesel trains introduced on Bury - Bacup service
1966 Closure of Chatterton Weaving Shed
Closure of Stubbins to Accrington railway line
1967 Work begins on building of Stubbins County Primary School Replaces, in 1970, the old Stubbins Congregational Day School
1969 Edenfield by-pass opens
1971 New Jerusalem Church demolished
1973 Passenger rail services to Rawtenstall end
1974 Ramsbottom UDC dissolved Most becomes part of Bury Metropolitan Borough within Greater Manchester. Some of the northern parts become part of Rossendale (within Lancashire). Area of Tottington UDC also becomes part of Bury
1978 Rowland Wesleyan Chapel demolished
Dundee Presbyterian Chapel demolished
1979 Stubbins Vale Mill demolished
1987 East Lancashire Railway Preservation Society reopen the Bury - Ramsbottom Line Continued to Rawtenstall in 1991
2001 Britannia Ropeworks close Britain's last cotton rope manufacturer

Last update 18/07/2004