Use the Browser to return to original page or click on the individuals name below the photo.

 

     
   
  Bell Green Post Office and General Store, accommodated into an extension to a cottage near the junction of Bell Green Road and Hall Green Road, near to where the "Rose and Crown" now stands. According to David Fry and Albert Smith, "The Coventry we have lost" this view, taken in about 1907, shows the postmistress,Ann Franklin standing at the gate. The 1901 Census shows Mrs Franklin, age 59 and from Burbage, Leicestershire, to be the postmistress. Was this the shop and post office once run by Edwin Chaplin or did he operate from the "butcher's shop" next to the Bell, opposite in Church Lane.  

MORE PHOTOS

HOME

Use the Browser to return to original page or click on the individuals name below the photo.