Esgairgeiliog Ceinws (click on photograph to bring up bigger/better version).

esgairgeiliog esgairgeiliog The village pump, near the bottom of the hill, just above the pub - broken. This pump is practically identical with one at the Popple Well, on the island of Lindisfarne, and the lion trademark indicates that both were made by Joseph Evans & Sons, of Wolverhampton. This firm, which used the sign of the lion from about 1890, had depots in Cardiff, Sheffield, Manchester, Newcastle- on-Tyne and Glasgow, but has now ceased trading. The pattern is essentially what they termed their "Colonial" or "Cottage" Pump, although they produced many variants.

Grid Ref: SH 759059.


Back