Beverley
A Yorkshire Market Town
 
   
Beverley Minster



    This market town is situated to the north of the Humber Bridge in a rural area on the edge of the Yorkshire wolds, and it has over 1300 years of history in its outstanding buildings and architecture. The town of Beverley has a varied mix of building types and ages, and there are around 800 listed buildings in the area of which above half of them are within the town. There are narrow medieval streets with descriptive names tell a lot about the towns history and its musical traditions. The antique shops and craft arcades and the buildings range from Georgian terraces to some of the best ecclesiastical architecture in Europe.
The Minster.  

Click for large Map
If you require to see on a map where Beverley is situated in relation to the Humber Bridge and the surrounding area then click on the thumbnail map and it will enable you to see a larger map..

    Beverley Minster is the finest non cathedral church in England after Westminster abbey and is one of the best examples of Gothic architecture in Europe, it was founded in 700 AD but the present building only dates back to 1220 AD as it was burnt down in a fire around 1188 AD. It has within it the world's largest collection of stone carvings depicting musicians playing medieval instruments. There is also the Percy Tomb, a masterpiece of European medieval art.
    To the north of the town is St Mary's parish church, built in 1120 AD, it has some outstanding items in the church, there is the decorated ceiling depicting the Kings of England, the brightly painted Minstrel Pillar, a reminder of Beverley's musical traditions. You can also find a carving of a white rabbit, said to have inspired the March Hare in Lewis Carroll's 'Alice in Wonderland'.
The North Bar, is the oldest surviving brick built bar in England and is the only remaining town gate of 4 which guarded the towns main entrances during medieval times. It was built in 1409/10 by the town council for the sum of about 96
    One of the ancient rights that Beverley had, was that of Sanctuary, given to them in 939 AD by the Saxon King, Athelstan and used until 1540. The fugitives on the run were, as soon as they entered the town, given 30 days free food and shelter, and during this time the clergy would try to get forgiveness and a pardon for them. The rights were briefly used again when King Charles 1st was refused entry into Hull prior to the Civil War, which ended his reign.
North bar

North Bar.

This medieval gateway was rebuilt in brick in 1409/10 AD
The Market Cross
Market Cross.

One has stood in Saturday Market for hundreds of years and the present monument is 280 years old and bears the arms of Queen Anne.

Beverley Westwood is the open pasture land on the outskirts of the town and is a fabulous green belt with it's unusual bylaws. Located in the centre of the westwood is the Racecourse which holds up to 18 flat race meetings a year and other events include veteran vehicle rallies, steam engine meets, agricultural shows, craft and country fairs and of course equestrian competitions.
Across the Westwood

A view across the Westwood towards Beverley with St. Mary's church in the background
 
Free Guestbook from Bravenet

 
Privacy Statement
Valid XHTML 1.1
Kingston upon Hull | Hull...History | The Docks | Spurn | The Bridge | Museums | links Page | Resources | Search
This document maintained by webmaster@riverhumber.co.uk Material copyright 2000-2006 ktaylor297. All Rights Reserved.