WILLITON

DOMESDAY BOOK

Williton, Cannington and Carhampton. King Edward held them. They have never paid tax, nor is it known how many hides there are. Land for 100 ploughs. In Lordship111/2 ploughs ; 11 slaves; 30 freedmen; 38 villagers and 50 smallholders with 371/2 ploughs. 2 mills which pay 5s; meadow, 104 acres; pasture 5 leagues in length and 3 leagues in width; woodland 4 leagues in length and 21/2 leagues in width. 2 cobs; 11 pigs; 350 sheep. It (pays) £100 116s 161/2d at 20 (pence) to the ora. Before1066 it paid one night's revenue. To this manor of Williton 1/2 hide has been added. Saeric held it before 1066 as two manors; it paid tax for 1/2 hide. Land for 5 ploughs. 6 villagers and 4 smallholders have 3 ploughs. Meadow, 4 acres; woodland 4 furlongs in length and 1 furlong in width. It pays31s 8d. To the same manor has been added another 1/2 hide, WESTOWE, which Alwin held before 1066; it paid tax for 1/2 hide. Land for 1 plough. It pays 40d. A further 1/2 hide has been added to this manor; it pays 7s in the Kings revenue. From Alfred's manor of MONKSILVER has been added to this manor 1 customary due, that is 18 sheep a year. This did not belong to Williton before 1066. To Williton has been added 1virgate of land called Ledforda which Dunn held in 1066; value 2s a year

THE NAME OF THE PARISH

The name Williton: is said to mean farm on the river willet.

ADMINISTRATION

A CHAPTER IN THE ANCIENT PARISH OF ST.DECUMANS

SEPERATE ECCLESIASTICAL PARISH 1784

SEPERATE CIVIL PARISH 1902-(PARISH COUNCIL)

LOCAL GOVERNMENT: WILLITON POOR LAW UNION,

RURAL SANITARY DISTRICT, RURAL DISTRICT AND

WEST SOMERSET DISTRICT COUNCIL

PARLIAMENTARY REPRESENTATION: BRIDGWATER DIVISION 1918-*

RURAL DEANERIES: DUNSTER 1784-1872, WIVELISCOMBE 1872-1951,

DUNSTER 1951-1973, Quantock1973-*

ECCLESIASTICAL BOUNDARY CHANGE 1954

THE PARISH CHURCH OF ST. PETER

For centuries, St Peter's was a chapel-of-ease and until 1902 formed part of the ancient Parish of St Decuman, now the parish church of Watchet. The first record of a chapel on the site of the present church was one founded by Robert Fitzurse, the brother of Reginald Fitzurse, who was the leader of the four murderers of Thomas a Becket in 1170. It is thought that the chapel founded by Robert Fitzurse was in expiation of his brothers crime . The medieval chapel was dedicated to All Saints. Much restored and extended in 1856/9 the last refurbishment of the building took place in 1950.

Williton

Local Williton Civil Parish Administration

Contact - Clerk to Council Mrs Jude Johnson-Smith Phone No 01984 633979