The Hollies - Great Melton Road
Built in the mid-nineteenth century of red bricks in Flemish bond with a low pitched hipped slate roof, the Hollies is a good example of a Victorian house having most of its external features intact. The central doorway has a classical doorcase with fluted Tuscan columns under a canopy with a cornice of paired modillions to match those set around the house eaves.
Inside there is much original joinery including sash windows panelled doors and window shutters. Outside to the left stood a small barn with stabling which has recently been demolished leaving one wall as a garden feature. A modern conservatory in sympathetic design is built on the west wall of the house. At the rear is a well eight metres deep which is capped below ground with a brick arched dome.
There had been, on the opposite side of Great Melton Road, a windmill from 1829 until the mid 1860s. It had been owned by George Robertson, who was so successful as a miller that he had the Hollies built. In 1858 it was described in sale particulars as "An excellent dwelling house with barn, stable, flour shop and warehouse".
An abstract of title shows that the house was owned by Henry William Back in 1920 who sold it to Frederick Sharman, grocer and draper for £475. At that time it was occupied by Nicholas Buckingham. Richenda Anne Sharman inherited it from her husband in 1925. There were no further transactions until 1946, when Robert William Reeve,