St Remigius Church. Click on it to enter the siteHethersett - A Norfolk Village on the Web

Site Links

  Village History

  Buildings

 Organisations

 People 

  Hethersett Links

  Index Page

e-mail me by clicking on the text

 Photographs

Village Facts

Noticeboard

Home Page

Lynch Green House - Lynch Green

Lynch Green House was erected on one rood of copyhold land in the manor of Hethersett Cromwells which was allotted in 1801 to Charles Moore following enclosure. The house stands back 4m from the west side of Lynch Green. It forms a double range with M-shaped gables and is worthy of mention being one of the early houses to be built on the common.

The two-up two-down range at the front was the original cottage built in red brick with cast-iron guttering and a pantiled roof. There are two bays of equal size with an off-centre door under a trellis porch of more recent date. Two light casements under flat brick arches are either side of the door with a matching pair above. Internal stacks at the apex of both gables serve fireplaces in each room.

The rear range was added in two stages. Not long after the cottage was built came a single storey extension which was roofed by extending the back pantiled slope outwards to form an outshut. This produced rooms with low ceilings and squat windows set under segmental brick arches. There is a door to the left and a stable door in the right return. Later, during the nineteenth century, the sloping roof was raised and a gable at the rear was formed to complete the M shape and give space for an upper floor.

Interesting cast-iron railings decorated with crowns and Prince of Wales' feathers surround the front garden. Water was provided from the well in the right of way in front of the earlier cottages at the rear.

The allotted land and rear cottages owned by Claudius and Ann Walpole were inherited by their daughters in 1816. Mary was married to Thomas. Davy a maltster, and Sarah to Thomas Emms a bricklayer. Emms, the owner of the plot was the likely builder c.1825. When he sold it in 1840, the property was described as a "newly erected cottage ... then being a beer house called The Trowel and Hammer but then unoccupied". Perhaps the single-storey outshut was added with family brewing interests in mind.

John Harvey purchased it and Harveys lived in the cottage for about thirty years to 1890. They owned a foundry in Henstead Road and similar premises at the corner of Cann's Lane where it joined the turnpike, now Harvey's garage. During the nineteenth century they were blacksmiths, agricultural machine-makers and bell hangers. They continued into the twentieth century. The decorative iron railings undoubtedly came from their foundry.

In 1890 Thomas Sharman, gentleman, purchased the cottage and it remained in his family until Sybil Woods, his great-granddaughter who was born there over ninety years ago, moved to Wymondham in 1999. She gave the cottage, once called Crown Cottage, its present name.