Did you know that ... Sidcup started as a pleasant village and ecclesiastical district
formed out of the parish of nearby Chislehurst in 1844. The town grew up around a Blacksmith's in Cross Road and The Black Horse Pub.
According to a book called The Dictionary of London Place Names by David Mills, Sidcup went on public record in 1254 when the area was known as Cetecopp ( the Anglo-Saxon words: 'cete' meaning 'fold' or 'flat' & 'copp' meaning 'a hill top' - so Sidcup means 'fold in the hill' [ seat-shaped ] or a 'flat hill top' ). In 1301 the name changed to Settecope and again in 1407 to Sidycope.
Queen Mary's Hospital ( seen above )
Sidcup's population in 1851 was 390 and grew to to 5,829 by 1901 and ten years later to 8,493. In the 1970's Sidcup's population reached over 52,000.
Sidcup BR Station ( seen right ) is located 11 miles from London BR Charing Cross.
Once the railway came to Sidcup in 1865 the population grew outwards from the station's surroundings. Nearby shops were built in 1880's and then in 1930's, large-scale suburban development gave Sidcup the look it still has today.
Sidcup retains several parks and open spaces, indicating the great estates and large homes which once stood in the area. These houses still remain including:
- Frognal House - now used for sheltered accomodation.
- Lamorbey House - now used by Rose Bruford Drama College ( seen above ).
- Sidcup Place - now a Brewers Fayre Pub.
- The Hollies - once a children's home but now converted for residential use.
Sidcup is a suburban town which contains a major hospital, two performing arts colleges, a mix of high street stores & independent shops, bars and restaurants. Once known as the gateway to Kent, it now dominates the southern border of the London Borough of Bexley, flanked by another London Borough - Bromley & Kent County Council.
It also refers to a house in Proston, Queensland, Australia which was built by Harold Edward Douglas.
It is now known as Sidcup Castle, a replica of his childhood home in England.
This author was interested to discover that a Hadlow House ( also known as Sidcup Lodge ) was built in 1750 and later pulled down to accommodate a new and current library in Hadlow Road.