Sensei and I after Hombu Training (circa 1994)
Kofuku No Shiori (an essay on happiness)
The way to experience ultimate happiness is to let go of all worries and regrets, and to know that being happy is the most satisfying of life's feelings.
Reflect back on all the progress in your life and allow the positive, creative and joyous thoughts to outshine and overwhelm any sorrow or grief that may linger in the recesses of your mind. Knowing that disease and disaster are natural parts of life is the key to overcoming adversity with a calm and happy spirit.
Happiness is waiting there in front of you.
Only you can decide whether or not you choose to experience it.
Take this to heart.
Kofuku No Shiori
by Toshitsugu Takamatsu, 33rd Headmaster of Togakure Ryu Ninjutsu
Wise Words from Japan
Following are some "quotes" found in books, videos, from Taikai or heard by my own ears from Japan training.
Please forgive any naive misinterpretation on my part, I've tried to be as accurate as I can.
- However much I study, it is never enough - Takamatsu Sensei
- Budo is simply the study of the best ways to kill - Hatsumi Soke
- Being natural is the ultimate secret of our art - Takamatsu Sensei
- The true value of budo is to train the mind to see clearly and maintain spiritual strength - Takamatsu Sensei
- Sensei says that true courage is being aware of everything, and then going beyond this - Nagato Sensei
- You must not stop in the middle of waza, make your waza alive, without a natural flow your waza cannot be alive - Hatsumi Soke
- Ukemi of the heart and mind is especially important - Hatsumi Soke
- Kamae are the expressions of a strong and resilient heart that freely harmonizes with all changes - Hatsumi Soke
- Find a good teacher, if the teacher is good the student can become good, but if the teacher is no good, it doesn't bode well for the students - Nagato Sensei
- A good teacher should be a person who is a good balance of instructor and student. A good teacher has a good balance of knowing when to teach and when to let the students figure it out for themselves - Nagato Sensei
- A budo teacher is not like a football or tennis coach, it is not a trivial or short-term relationship, a budo teacher is a teacher for your life - Nagato Sensei
© Copyright 2004 Paul Harper. All Rights Reserved. [Site Last Updated
1 August, 2004