Builders: Caird & Co Greenock 1863
Propulsion type: Paddle compound oscillating (originally simple oscillating)
Owner: London Brighton and South Coast Railway, Swansea & Ilfracombe Steamship Co (Alexandra) Ltd, R & D Jones, Charles T Daniel, Hastings, St. Leonards & Eastbourne Steamboat Co Ltd
Service dates: 1863-1905
Tonnage: Gross 369
This grand old steamer started her career on the South Coast and after a period in the West, she returned to the South Coast to end her service. On introduction in 1863 she sailed from Newhaven to Dieppe and shortened the crossing time by about one third. According to a local newspaper report of the time she was magnificently fitted with "an after saloon of 39 ft in length and seven feet in height and admirably lighted. The ceiling is painted flatted white; mouldings, ornaments etc are done up in gold, crimson Utrecht velvet cushions etc. Fore and aft are placed very large mirrors, in frames elaborately carved and gilt." In 1866 she was badly holed at Cap d'Ailly when she ran aground in thick fog, but was salvaged by the French, who repaired her and sold her back to the LB&SCR in time for the 1867 season. This was just as well as the famous Thomas Cook had organised over 20,000 visitors who needed transporting in that year to the Paris Exhibition. In 1883 she was sold for use on the Bristol Channel then again in 1886 for service on the North Wales coast. She returned to the South Coast in 1895 and was considerably improved with her saloons being enlarged and electric light being fitted. She lasted until 1905 when she was sold for £900 to J Constant for scrap.
Back to Contents Page
Back to South Coast Index