Builders: T B Seath & Co, Rutherglen 1892
Propulsion type: Paddle single diagonal
Owners: Capt W Buchanan, Williamson-Buchanan Steamers Ltd, General Steam Navigation Co Ltd
Service dates: 1892 - 1936
Tonnage: Gross 313
This wonderful picture was taken in Sept 1934 and is previously unpublished. It is shown here by kind permission of Cyril Perrier, whose father took this picture.
Isle of Arran was a successful steamer of 15 knots and was the last to be built for the Clyde by Seath's. Built originally for the Glasgow to Arran route she later sailed to Dunoon and Rothesay on the 11.00 am sailing from Glasgow. The excursions she undertook were noted for their value for money and a return fare in saloon class was only 8/- (equivalent to 40p) and this included lunch and a high tea! She was not called up for minesweeping duties until spring 1917, being stationed at Portsmouth. After the war she was altered and her bridge was brought forward of her funnel (as shown in this 1934 picture). She then undertook the 10.00 am sailings to Largs and Millport until she was replaced by the turbine steamer King Edward in 1927. Originally, her mast and funnel were not similarly raked and this caused some comment from the more critically minded traveller. When the new turbine steamer Queen Mary (later Queen Mary (II)), was introduced in 1933 Isle of Arran was sold to the General Steam Navigation Co, for use on the River Thames. Here, she sailed on river and dock cruises for the Port of London Authority, excursions to Herne Bay and afternoon cruises round the Nore Lightship. She was sold for breaking up at T W Wards yard at Grays at the end of the 1936 season.
Scottish Steamers Index
Back to Contents Page