Builders: Fairfield Shipbuilding & Engineering Co (J Elder & Co) Govan 1882
Propulsion type: Paddle 2 cylinder compound
Owner: London, Brighton & South Coast Railway, Liverpool & Douglas Steamers Ltd, J Constant, J R Richards (The Normandy Steamship Co)
Service dates: 1882 - 1907
Tonnage: Gross 605
This picture comes from the Brian Fisher collection and shows PS Normandy at Newhaven in 1893.
Normandy and her sister Brittany were ordered from Elders and built by Fairfields, who succeeded them. Both these ships were fitted with William Stroudley's patented feathering paddle wheels, which improved efficiency and speed without any increase in engine power. This enabled Normandy to make the crossing from Newhaven to Dieppe in under three and a half hours, cutting around a quarter of an hour off the trip time. Normandy had a mishap on 24 June 1891 when she ran aground in fog off Beachy Head, where she remained for several hours. She was patched up at Newhaven and then went to London for more permanent repairs. In 1893 she had new boilers fitted in Glasgow. In March 1902 the sisters were sold to Liverpool & Douglas Steamers Ltd who had been formed to compete with the Isle of Man Steam Packet Co. The venture was not a financial success and failed in December of the same year. After being purchased by Mr Constant of London she was sold in 1905 to Mr Richards, a local solictor, for operation out of Swansea.. He sailed her under The Normandy Steamship Co colours of red funnels with black tops. She ran in competition with Pockett's PS Brighton, whom she regularly raced across the Bristol Channel. The Normandy Steamship Co lasted until 1907 and Normandy was finally broken up at Rhyl in 1909.
Back to Contents Page
Back to South Coast Index