Builders: Henderson Coulborn & Co, Renfrew 1867
Propulsion type: Paddle, single diagonal
Owner: W Alcock, Blackpool Lytham & Southport Steam Packet Co Ltd, West Cornwall Steamship Co, John Dutton, John T Hutchins, Jessie Laurie, Newport & Bristol Channel Excursion Co Ltd.
Service dates: 1867 - 1894
Tonnage: Gross 138
This pleasingly proportioned iron paddler, shown here at Penzance, had a varied career, all on the West side of the English coast. Built in Scotland, she originally commenced commercial service as a summer excursion steamer, for up to 197 passengers, out of Morcambe in 1867 and moved to Blackpool five years later. In 1885 she moved again, this time to the Bristol Channel. On August Bank Holiday of that year she is recorded on an early charter from Bristol to Ilfracombe. Sold again in 1874 she moved to Cornwall and sailed to the Scilly Isles for the next nine years. She went back briefly to the Bristol Channel, operating out of Cardiff, but went to the South Coast in 1886 for a two week excursion from Ilfracombe to Southampton, calling at all principal harbours en route, which sounds great fun. She was sold to another Cardiff owner in 1889. In the next few years she twice changed owners again but was severely damaged by fire on 22 May 1894 on the River Usk and was sold for scrap.
Back to Contents Page
Back to Cornwall & South Devon Coast