Builders: Barclay Curle & Co Ltd Glasgow 1876
Propulsion type: Paddle, compound oscillating
Owners: Southampton, Isle of Wight and South of England Royal Mail Steam Packet Co Limited, Colwyn Bay & Liverpool Steamship Co Ltd, Mersey Trading Co, Mr W Hawthorn, Liverpool & North Wales Steamship Co Ltd, and Spanish owners
Service dates: 1876 - 1935
Tonnage: Gross 198
Launched as Carisbrooke on 26 January 1876, this iron hulled paddler had a service speed of 12 knots and a passenger capacity of 463. She started her career on the South Coast and operated out of Weymouth on excursion duties. In 1893 she was backing out of Cowes in the dark and sank a yacht, for which she had to pay damages. She was reboilered in 1889 and again in 1905 and was then sold, a year later to the Colwyn Bay and Liverpool Steamship Co. She was sold again the following year and was renamed Rhos Trevor. Her new owners went out of business and she was sold twice more in as many years. Her latest owners, the Liverpool and North Wales Steamship Co, renamed her St Trillo and she operated out of Llandudo, in which guise she is seen here. The postcard from which this picture is taken was posted on 23 August 1916, her last season before being requisitioned for minesweeping duties in 1917. After being returned to her owners after the war, old age forced her sale in 1921 and she was sold for use by a private owner in Spain and later as a hotel on the Seville River. She was finally scrapped in 1935, nearly sixty years since she was launched.
Back to Contents Page
Isle of Man and North West of England Steamers index