Builders: DW Henderson & Co 1875
Propulsion type: Paddle, diagonal
Owners: Capt. A Williamson, Glasgow & South Western Railway, W Horton.
Service dates: 1875 - 1911
Tonnage: Gross 236
Originally forming part of the "Turkish" fleet of steamers owned by Capt Alexander Williamson, Viceroy was sold in 1891 with the rest of the fleet to the G&SWR for whom Capt Williamson's son was the Marine Superintendent. Viceroy was a useful boat and whilst she was given more powerful engines than her fleet mate Sultan, she was no faster. Originally, Viceroy sported a raised quarter deck but was converted into the saloon steamer shown above, shortly before she joined the G&SWR. She was reboilered twice and also lengthened by 14 feet during her career. At the end of the 1906 season she was to be sold for use in "southern waters", appearing as Rhos Colwyn in 1907 for Mr W Horton. She operated between Rhyl, Rhos and Llandudno, surviving until 1911 when she was sold for breaking up.
Scottish Steamers Index
Back to Contents Page