Builders: J Key & Sons Kinghorn 1879
Propulsion type: Paddle, originally oscillating engines, later compound diagonal.
Owners: North British Railway, London North Eastern Railway.
Service dates: 1879 - 1937
Tonnage: Gross 364 (later 412)
Shown above in her pre 1902 condition, before she was reboilered and refunelled, William Muir was launched in October 1879, was three months late being delivered and did not fulfil her contract speed. £1000 was withheld from her purchase price by her builders, although this was paid a year later after alterations had been made. Disaster occured on the night of 29 December 1879 when the Tay Bridge collapsed during a gale, carrying away a passenger train,. William Muir carried the corpses to Burntisland after the disaster. With the opening of the Forth Bridge in 1890, the NBR disposed of most of its ships, although retained William Muir, which continued on the Burntisland service. In 1902 she was repainted in the standard NBR colours and her black funnels were changed to red, with white bands and black tops. In 1910, needing a major overhaul, she was reboilered and re engined, losing her forward funnel in the process. Provision was also made for space for vehicles on deck after the refit. In the Great War she saw service as a minesweeper off the Nore, returning to her normal service after the cessation of hostilities. In 1937 she was replaced by Thane of Fife and sent for scrapping by Metal Industries Ltd in Charlestown. A picture of her in post 1910 condition, after her refit, is shown below.
Scottish Steamers Index
Back to Contents Page