William Wallace in Argyll (by Ann Stack) The priory of Ardchattan, built in 1230 during the reign of Alexander II, is located northeast of Oban on the shore of Loch Etive. Parts of the church and the domestic building are still in use today as the home of the proprietor. According to Blind Harry, in the summer before the Battle of Stirling Bridge, William came to this area with his men at the request of his friend and former school mate, Duncan of Lorn. Duncan needed help to wrest control of the land from the English under the leadership of an Irishman named MacFadyen. The journey was arduous. The Scots were heavily outnumbered by MacFadyen and his troops. Despite this the Scots defeated MacFadyen's forces but MacFadyen escaped. Duncan of Lorn hunted him do, decapitated him and brought his head back on a pike to Wallace as a trophy. At Ardchattan a council was held where Wallace formally handed the lands over to Duncan to "hold it for Scotland." We cannot be sure that the story is true but it makes for interesting reading. The priory itself is an excellent of mediaeval architecture in the Highlands and is well worth seeing.