The Rodwell Trail

HARBOUR POINT south of Wyke Regis Halt

Robert Whitehead (1823 - 1905) was the inventor of the deadly underwater torpedo and it was on this site on the 11th April 1891 that the foundation stone of his Whitehead Torpedo Factory was laid down. The last torpedoes were built in 1966 but the factory continued to produce a variety of engineering products until its final closure in 1994. The factory buildings were demolished in 1997 to make way for the housing development known as Harbour Point.

Photography by Alan Edwards - June 2007

<< Previous view | Contents page | Next view >>

FERRY BRIDGE - WYKE REGIS HALT - SANDSFOOT CASTLE HALT - RODWELL - WESTHAM HALT