Winscombe - History

The Manor of Winscombe.

In the Domesday Survey of 1086 'The Manor of Winescome' is included among the possessions of Glastonbury Abbey. Winscombe remained a possession of Glastonbury until the 13th century when it was handed over to Savaric, Bishop of Bath and Wells, even though the monks of the Abbey refused to recognise him as their head. When Savaric died in 1205, Glastonbury Abbey regained its independence but in return had to surrender various lands to Bishop Jocelyn, who was Savaric's successor. Subsequently, in 1239, Bishop Jocelyn gave the Manor of Winscombe to the Dean and Chapter of Wells Cathedral.

Parish Church of St. James

The Parish of Winscombe was made up of many separate settlements including: Ney, Sandford, Dinghurst, Max, Woodborough, Ford, Barton Winscombe, Sidcot, Oakridge and Hale (Custumal of Winscombe, 1290). Although referring to the combined area of Winscombe, Ford and Woodborough today, the hamlet of Winscombe was formerly centred around the Church of St. James and the former Court House belonging to the Dean and Chapter of Wells.

church

Return to parish history page

To more detailed history

Return{short description of image} to home page